Built in 1953, by the Roamer Boat Company of Holland, Michigan (hull #C-511) as the C-511 for the United States Navy.
She was later sold, and renamed as the Sea Jay.
The tug was then sold, where she was renamed as the Hendricks Head.
She was later acquired by the Norfolk Dredge Company of Chesapeake, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Hilton Head.
Powered by a single, Caterpillar 3406 diesel engine. She is a single screw tug, rated at 360 horsepower.