Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
JOSEPH H. CALLAN

Built in 1925, by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company of Manitowoc, Wisconsin (hull #215) as the Welcome for the Milwaukee Tug Boat Line Incorporated of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

In 1946, the tug was acquired by the Petco Corporation of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1952 she was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she was renamed as the Joseph H. Callan.

In 1982, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed the tug as the Tulagi.

In 1984, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed the tug as the South Carolina.

In 2018, the tug was scrapped.

In 1948, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by one EMD 12-567ATL diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 2.5:1. Turning one, 75(in) by 65.5(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,230 horsepower.

Her electrical service is provided by two, Detroit Diesel 4-71 diesel generator sets.
(Paul Strubeck)


  • Vessel Name: JOSEPH H. CALLAN
  • USCG Doc. No.: 224431
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Call Sign: WB4373
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 215
  • Ship Builder: Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
  • Year Built: 1925
  • Length: 86
  • Hull Depth: 11
  • Hull Breadth: 21
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Welcome, Joseph H. Callan, Tulagi, South Carolina
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Milwaukee Tug Boat Line, Petco Corporation, Great Lakes Towing Company