Built in 1917, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #43) as the Tennessee for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1959, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by a single, Cleveland 8-498 diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse Reduction gear, at a ratio of 4.0:1 Turning one, 102(in) by 74(in), four bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller in a Kort nozzle. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,400 horsepower.