Built in 1964, by the Marinette Marine Corporation of Marinette, Wisconsin (hull #YTB-779) as the YTB-779 (Manhattan) for the United States Navy.
The tug was launched on May 19th 1965, and was completed on July 15th, 1965. She was delivered to the Untied States Navy on August 19th, 1965. Where the tug was allocated to the Pacific Fleet for service at Naval Shipyard at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
The date she was placed out of service is unknown. She was struck from the Naval Register October 01st, 2004, where the tug was redesigned as "floating equipment" boat number 109TL0601.
In 2005, the tug was acquired by Grant Westmoreland of the Pacific Tugboat Service Incorporated of San Diego, California. Where the tug retained her "floating equipment" boat number.
In 2006, the tug was repowered and reconfigured. Originally powered by a single, ten cylinder, Fairbanks Morse diesel engine. Turning and single propeller, for a rated 2,000 horsepower. She was repowered with two, Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines. Driving a pair Schottel SRP 1012 z drives for a rated 4,000 horsepower.
In 2009, the vessel was reinstated on Naval Register October 07th, 2009 as the YT-800 (Manhattan) and the tug was allocated to the Naval Station at Bangor Washington.
Her towing equipment consists of a JonRie Seires 200 Hydraulic winch, mounted on the bow.
(NavSource Online, Brandon Durar)