Built in 1973, by the Marinette Marine Corporation of Marinette, Wisconsin (hull #YTB-826) as the YTB-826 (Washtucna) for the United States Navy.
The tug was launched on October 9th, 1973 and was delivered to the United Stated Navy on December 11th, 1973. The tug was allocated 11th Naval District at Naval Station San Diego, California.
It is unknown when the tug was removed from service. The tug was struck from the Naval Register August 21st, 1997. And she was transferred to the Department of Interior.
In 2006, the tug was repowered and reconfigured. Originally powered by a single, ten cylinder, Fairbanks Morse diesel engine. Turning and single propeller, for a rated 2,000 horsepower. She was repowered with two, Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines. Driving a pair Schottel SRP 1012 z drives for a rated 4,000 horsepower.
In 2009, the vessel was reinstated on Naval Register October 07th, 2009 as the YT-801 (Washtucna) and the tug was allocated to the Naval Station at Bangor Washington.
Her towing equipment consists of a JonRie Seires 200 Hydraulic winch, mounted on the bow.
(NavSource Online, Brandon Durar)