Built in 1965, by the Equitable Equipment Company of Madisonville, Louisiana (hull #1388) as the Catano for the Puerto Rico Lighterage Company of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
In 1976, the Puerto Rico Lighterage Company was acquired by Crowley Marine Services Incorporated of San Francisco, California. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2007, the tug was acquired by American Tugs Incorporated of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Where she was renamed as the Mitchel.
Rebuilt in 2009, the tug is powered by two, twelve cylinder, Caterpillar D-398 diesel engines. With reduction gears, at a ratio of 5.31.1. Turning two, bronze, fixed pitch propellers. She is a twin screw tug, rated at 1,530 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 75kW generator sets. Driven by two, Caterpillar D-320 diesel engines. Her capacities are 4,500 gallons of potable water, 34,000 gallons of fuel, and 500 gallons of potable water.
(Captain Christopher Roehrig)