Built in 1943, by the Marietta Manufacturing Company Point Pleasant, West Virginia (hull #496) as LT-223 for the United States Army.
She was launched in 1943 and delivered to the US Army Quartermaster Corps in November of 1943. Where she was allocated to the US Army Transportation Corps and placed in service in November of 1943 as the LT-223.
1949, the tug was acquired by Tug R.P. Hyams Incorporated of Tampa, Florida. Where she was renamed as R.P. Hyams.
1950, she was acquired by the Crescent Towing and Salvage Company of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the William S. Smith.
In 1972, the tug was chartered out and renamed as Dale E. Temple.
In 1976, she was acquired by the Old River Towing Company of Houston, Texas. Where the tug was renamed as the Orion.
In 1995, the tug was acquired by Midstream Fuel Service Incorporated of Mobile, Alabama. Where she retained her name.
In 2002, Midstream Fuel Service Incorporated became the Martin Midstream Partnership Incorporated of Vidor, Texas. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2017, the tug was acquired by West Indies Petroleum Limited of Kingston, Jamaica. Where she was renamed as the WIP Orion.