Built in 1943, by Ira S. Bushey and Sons Incorporated of Brooklyn, New York (hull #525) as the Apalachee (WYTM-71) for the United States Coast Guard.
She was commissioned on November 26th, 1943. The vessel was the first of her class to enter service. Assigned to Baltimore, Maryland where she served through 1984. The tug was used for law enforcement and search and rescue patrols, fire fighting and light icebreaking when needed.
In June of 1965 she assisted in fighting the fire aboard the Columbian motor vessel Ciudad de Nieva near Baltimore, Maryland. On February 13th, 1968 she assisted in fighting a fire on Pier 5 in Baltimore. On 4 June 4th, 1969 the assisted in fighting the fire aboard the motor vessel Provence Town, again near Baltimore.
In 1984, she was transferred to Portland, Maine.
In 1986, the tug was decommissioned and placed out of service at Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
In 1997, she was acquired by Thomas Kowal of Oswego, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Apalachee.
In 2008, the tug was acquired by the United States Coast Guard Tug Association where she was moved to Cleveland, Ohio as a museum.
In 2011, she was acquired by the Zinks Marine Towing Company of Westlake, Ohio. Where the tug was renamed as the Apalachee.
In 2013, the was acquired by Basic Marine Incorporated of Escanaba, Michigan. Where she retained her name. However, she was utilized for parts and was "laid up" at Escanaba, Michigan.
She was eventually scrapped at Escanaba, Michigan. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,000 horsepower.