Built in 1956, by the Gulfport Shipbuilding Corporation of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #486) as the Grampus for the Suderman and Young Towing Company of Houston, Texas.
Along with the Bay Houston Towing Company of Houston, Texas. The Suderman and Young Towing Company was part of a combined operating company, the G and H Towing Company of Houston, Texas.
In 1990, the tug was acquired by the Turecamo Coastal and Harbor Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Philip Turecamo.
In 1998, Turecamo Coastal and Harbor Towing Corporation was acquired by the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2005, she was acquired by the Tug Fells Point Foundation of Port Haywood, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Oxnard. And, was utilized primarily as a teaching platform for high school Seniors of Matthews, Virginia.
In 2009, the tug was acquired by Mullane Brothers Marine Transportation of Norfolk, Virginia. Where she was converted for passenger use, and renamed as the America.
In 2020, the tug was sunk as part of an artificial reef, about 7 miles south of the Oregon Inlet, North Carolina.
She was a single screw tug, rated at 2,000 horsepower.