Built in 1970, by Peterson Builders Incorporated of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin (hull #YTB-811) as the YTB-811 (Houma) for the United States Navy.
A Natick class district harbor tug. Her keel was laid down on December 1st, 1970, and she was launched on May 8th, 1971. The tug was delivered to the United States Navy September 23rd, 1971. She was allocated to Naval Base Roosevelt Roads, San Juan Puerto Rico.
The date she was taken out of service is unknown. She was struck from the Naval Register on November 9th, 1999. And, transferred to the Defense Re utilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) for sale or reuse.
In 2003, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Towing and Transportation Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Stacy McAllister.
In 2005, she was repowered and reconfigured. Originally powered by a single, ten cylinder, Fairbanks Morse diesel engine, rated at 2,000 horsepower. The tug was repowered with two, Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines. Driving two, Schottel SRP 1012 z-drives for a rated 4,000 horsepower.
The Stacy McAllister was the seventh conversion of a United States Naval tug by McAllister Towing. From a single screw configuration, to a "z drive" configuration. The fifth conversion to feature twin z-drives. Also, she was the fifteenth tractor tug to enter service for the McAllister Towing and Transportation Company.
The tug's capacities are 20,000 gallons of fuel oil, 710 gallons of lube oil and 1,290 gallons of potable water.
She was outfitted with new fire fighting equipment that included a Goulds pump rated at 2,000 Gallons Per Minute. Feeding two fire monitors with a 1,500 Gallon Per Minute foam capacity. Driven by a 6-71 diesel engine.
She was also outfitted with a JonRie InterTech 200 series bow winch. Equipped with 450(ft) of 7(in) Neutron Rope. Her original underwater submarine fendering was kept, and refurbished.