Built in 1945, by the Gibbs Gas and Engine Company of Jacksonville, Florida for the United States Navy as a yet-undetermined District Harbor Tug of the Sassaba-class.
In 1982, she was acquired by the Marine Contracting and Towing Company of Charleston, South Carolina. Where she was renamed as the America.
In 1988, The Marine Contracting and Towing Company was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
The tug is no longer in documentation, her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug rated at 1,200 horsepower.