Built in 1942, by Levingston Shipbuilding of Orange, Texas (hull #212) as the Susan A. Moran for the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York.
In 1942, the tug was acquired by United States Navy. Where she was designated as the YT-242 (Uncas). And, allocated to the Service Force Atlantic Fleet at Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1944, the United States Navy resdesignated the tug as the YTB-242 (Uncas).
In 1946, she placed out of service at Boston, Massachusetts. And in January of 1947, she was stricken from the Naval Records.
In 1947, the tug was returned to the Moran Towing Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Pauline L. Moran.
In 1961, she was transferred to the Moran Towing Company subsidiary, the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where she was renamed as the Sewells Point.
In 1975, the tug was half sunk when she was struck by ship during a launching at the Sun Shipbuilding Company in Chester, Pennsylvania on the Delaware River.
In 1976, she was sold by the Curtis Bay Towing Company to a salvage company for $1 "as is." Later that year, the tug was was rebuilt.
In 1977, she was acquired by the Interstate Oil Transportation Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where the tug was renamed as the Fort McHenry.
At the time, the Interstate Oil Transportation Company operated two fleets. Their Northeast Fleet, which was referred to as the "Green Fleet." Operated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And their Southern Fleet, which was referred to as the "White fleet" which operated out of Tampa, Florida.
In 1981, the Interstate Oil Transportation Company was acquired by the Southern National Resources Company of Birmingham, Alabama. The new company was named the SONAT Marine Company Incorporated of Birmingham, Alabama. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1987, the SONAT Marine Company was acquired by the the Maritrans Operating Partnership of Tampa, Florida. Where the tug retained her name. Maritrans was formed by group of managers from the SONAT Marine Company. Who offered to form a partnership to raise the funds necessary to purchase the company. These eleven partners included some individuals who had worked for the Interstate Oil Transportation Company since the 1950's.
In March of 1989, the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound near Valdez, Alaska. And in 1990, the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 was passed calling for the double hulling of all petroleum carrying vessels by January 1st of 2015. As well, as other stipulations that effected Maritrans including manning, preparedness, and spill prevention. Maritrans filed suit to fight the stipulations set fourth by OPA '90.
By the mid 1990's, the Maritrans Operating Partners had begun to consolidate its business. By first, backing out of the black oil trade, and carrying only petroleum products and petrochemicals. The phosphate trade, and local transportation in Baltimore, Maryland that was part of the Harbor Towing subsidiary did not fit into Maritrans's new business model. As Maritrans backed out local transportation companies emerged, and established operations in the area. They included the Bouchard Transportation Company of Melville, New York and the Vane Brothers Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
In 1992, the tug was acquired by Dana Marine Services Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2000, she was acquired by Ocean Barges and Tug Logistics. A subsidiary of the Transzone Shipping Company of Port Au Prince, Haiti. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2004, the tug was dropped from documentation. Her current, and or, final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(NavSouce Online, Jeff Schurr, Dave Boone, Captain Eric Takakjian)