Built in 1939, by Gulfport Shipbuilding Incorporated of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #129) as the USCGC Arundel (WYT 90) for the United States Coast Guard.
She was launched on June 24th, 1939. And, was commissioned on July 6th, 1939. During the winter of 1940, the cutter broke ice on the Hudson River. During World War II, she was assigned to CINCLANT (DESLANT). And was stationed at Boston, Massachusetts. Where she served on the Greenland Patrol.
In 1945, the cutter was transferred to New York, New York. Where she was assigned to law enforcement, search and rescue, and light ice breaking duties. In 1947, she transferred to Portland, Maine. In 1948, she was transferred to New Bedford, Massachusetts. And in 1952, she transferred to Chicago, Illinois.
In 1956, the cutter was towed to Detroit, Michigan by the USCGC Mesquite. On August 20th, 1965 she assisted in the search for debris from United Airlines crash in Lake Michigan. In 1980, she was transferred for the final time to Buffalo, New York. And in 1982, the cutter was decommissioned.
In 1982, the cutter was acquired by Andrie Incorporated of Muskegon, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Karen Andrie. And, converted for use as a towing vessel.
In 1990, she was acquired by Basic Marine Incorporated of Escanaba, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Erika Kobasic.
Powered by two, General Motors 8-567A, eight cylinder, diesel engines. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, Westinghouse generator sets. Driven by a single Westinghouse electric motor.