Built in 1966, by the Equitable Equipment Company of Madsionville, Louisiana (hull #1429) as the El Morro for the Puerto Rico Lighterage Company of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
In 1976, the Puerto Rico Lighterage Company was acquired by Crowley Marine Services Incorporated of San Francisco, California. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2008, the tug was acquired by American Tugs Incorporated of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Where she retained her name.
Rebuilt in 2009, the tug is powered by two, Caterpillar D-398 diesel engines. With reduction gears, at a ratio of 5.31.1. Turning two, stainless steel, fixed pitch propellers. For rated at 1,530 horsepower.
The tug's electrical service is provided by two, 75kW generator sets. Driven by two, Caterpillar D-320 diesel engines. Her capacities are 4,500 gallons of potable water, 34,000 gallons of fuel, and 500 gallons of potable water.
(Captain Christopher Roehrig)