Built in 1945, by the Marietta Manufacturing Company of Point Pleasant, West Virginia (hull #LT 815) as the LT-815 for the United States Army.
In 1964, the tug was acquired by the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Henry Foss.
In 1984, she was acquired by the O.L. Schmidt Barge Lines Incorporated of Lemont, Illinois. Where the tug was renamed as the Kristin Lee.
In 1984, the tug was acquired by the Hannah Maritime Corporation of Lemont, Illinois. Where she was renamed as the Kristin Lee Hannah.
In 2000, the Hannah Maritime Corporation renamed the tug as the David E. Where she was "laid up" at Chicago, Illinois.
In 2009, she was acquired by Calumet River Fleeting of Chicago, Illinois. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2010, the tug was acquired by an undisclosed, Indiana based, private interest. Where the tug retained her name. Where the tug was "laid up" Indiana Harbor, Indiana.
Powered by two, eight cylinder, Nordberg diesel engines. She was a twin screw tug, rated at 1,800 horsepower.