Built in 1954, by St. Louis Ship Incorporated of St. Louis, Missouri (hull #1279) as the Esso Chesapeake for the Esso Shipping Company of Wilmington, Delaware.
In 1965, she was acquired by Interstate Oil Transportation Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where the vessel was renamed as the Chesapeake.
She was a shallow draft unit that was acquired with the intention of serving small, shallow draft terminals and tributaries of the Delaware River, and Chesapeake Bay.
In 1977, the unit went out of documentation. Her current, and or final disposition is unknown.