Built in 1927, by Sun Shipbuilding of Chester, Pennsylvania (hull #105) as the Colonial Beacon for Beacon Oil of Bayonne, New Jersey.
In 1948, she was acquired by Esso Shipping of Wilmington, Delaware. Where she was renamed as the Esso Delivery No. 12. However, in 1955 the unit was renamed as the Esso Potomac.
In 1963, when Esso Shipping declared the unit obsolete. She was acquired by Interstate Oil Transport of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where she was renamed as the Potomac.
She was the first self-propelled barge or "self-propellers" that were operated by Interstate Oil Transport. She was purchased for $25,000 dollars.
The transaction included two spare stainless steel shafts and two stainless steel propellers (these items alone were worth the purchase price of $25,000).
Although she had been repowered a survey showed that a number of sound plates and internal structures, as well as significant replacements of plating in the internal tanks. Twenty five percent of the deck, side, and bottom plating required replacement. She was also suffering from an exhaust leak in the engine room.
She was scrapped in 1992.