Built in 1973, by Southern Shipbuilding Incorporated of Slidell, Louisiana (hull #102) as the Melvin E. Lemmerhirt for the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company of Oak Brook, Illinois.
Named for Melvin E. Lemmerhirt, who was a native of Chicago, Illinois. He had joined Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company in 1935.
Active for forty-four years, as a project manager in charge of dredging, harbor-deepening and land-reclamation projects throughout the world. After his retirement, he continued served on the board of Great Lakes International, however he passed away in 1985.
In 2004, the tug was given a seven month long capital restoration. This included replacement of over seventy one tons of steel; a major overhaul of the towing winch, as well as the main engines. New fendering, watertight doors and bitts where installed. Also, interior upgrades and complete sandblasting and coating.
In 2012, she was phased out of active service and was "laid up" at Norfolk, Virginia.
In 2014, the tug was acquired by the Poling-Cutler Marine Transportation Company of Freehold, New Jersey. Where she was renamed as the Evelyn Cutler.
Powered by two, EMD 16-645E6 diesel engines. With Falk reduction gears, at a ratio of 5.0:1. Turning two, four bladed, fixed pitch, propellers. She is a twin screw tug, rated at 3,900 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 99kW Kato generator sets. Driven by two, six cylinder, John Deere turbo diesel engines. The tug's capacities are 122,795 gallons of fuel, 2,300 gallons of lube oil, 345 gallons of hydraulic oil, 1,800 gallons of waste oil, 345 gallons of gear oil.
The tug's towing gear consists of a Markey, double drum, TDSD-36 towing winch. Outfitted with 2,000(ft) of 2.25(in) towing wire on her primary drum. And 2,000(ft) of 2.25(in) towing wire on the secondary drum.