Built in 1951, by the Gulfport Shipbuilding Corporation of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #382) as the Esso Tug No. 11 for the Esso Shipping Company of Wilmington, Delaware.
In 1955, the Esso Shipping Company, renamed the tug as the Esso Rhode Island.
In 1958, the Esso Shipping Company, renamed the tug as the Esso Virginia.
In 1972, the Esso Shipping Company became the Exxon Shipping Company of Wilmington, Delaware. Where the tug was renamed as the Exxon Virginia.
In 1978, she was acquired by the Norfolk Baltimore and Carolina Line (NBC Container Lines) of Norfolk, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Dorothy H.
In 1986, the NBC Container Lines were acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1995, she was reefed. Powered by a single, twelve cylinder GM Cleveland diesel engine. She was a single screw tug rated at 1,200 horsepower.