Built in 1945, by Consolidated Shipbuilding of Morris Heights, New York (hull #3199) as the YT-392 (Mecosta) for the United States Navy.
Her keel was laid down on September 13th 1944. However, the tug was redesigned as the YTB-392 (Mecosta) shortly after her keel was laid. She was launched on October 28th, 1944. The tug was placed into service on January 20th, 1945. Where she was allocated to Service Squadron One, Service Force, Atlantic Fleet. Although, in 1946. The tug was reassigned to Naval Operating Base at Bermuda.
In 1962, the tug was redesigned as the YTM-391 (Mecosta). In 1965, she was reassigned to the Atlantic Fleet, based at Norfolk, Virginia. It is unknown, when she was placed out of service. The tug was later transferred to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) for sale and or commercial service.
In 1981, the tug was acquired by Seabrook Towing Incorporated of Charleston, South Carolina. Where she was renamed as the South Carolina.
In 1987, Seabrook Towing Incorporated was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2002, she was acquired by the Tucker Roy Marine Towing and Salvage Company of Mattapoisett, Massachusetts. Where she was renamed as the R. Marcel Roy.
In 2010, the tug went out of documentation. And in 2012, the tug was scrapped. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(NavSource Online, Ryan Silva)