Built in 1928, by Charles Ward Engineering of Charleston, West Virginia as the Major for the Kelley's Creek Barge Line of Ward, West Virginia.
In 1975, the tug was acquired by White Brothers Incorporated of Belle, West Virginia. Where the tug retained her name. However, she sank at Witcher Creek, West Virginia that same year.
In 1982, she was raised. And, acquired by the Madison Coal and Supply Company of Charleston, West Virginia. Where she retained her name.
In 2010, the Madison Coal and Supply Company, become Amherst Madison Incorporated of Charleston, West Virginia. Where the tug retained her name.
The tug is paddle wheel driven, rated at 335 horsepower.