Built in 1959, by the Dravo Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (hull #3925) as the Pittsburgh for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1968, the Pennsylvania Railroad Company merged with New York Central Railroad Company of New York, New York. To form the Pennsylvania Central Transportation Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1975, the tug was acquired by the Crescent Towing and Salvage Company Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where she was renamed as the Kyle Smith.
In 1991, the Crescent Towing and Salvage Company, renamed the tug as the G. Shelby Friedrichs.
In 1991, the tug was rebuilt and repowered. The project included a complete redesign of the vessel. Including the wheelhouse, with improved window placement, and low profile stacks for maximum visibility.
Her stern section, and propulsion system, were removed, and replaced. Her existing single, EMD 12-567C diesel engine was removed. And, replaced with two, eight cylinder, General Electric 228, diesel engines. With Reintjes reduction gears, at a ratio of 4:1. Turning two, 85(in) Bollinger stainless steel, fixed pitch propellers. Mounted in 86(in) type 37 kort nozzles. With stainless steel inner rings. And, a maximum range of forty five degrees for increased maneuverability. She is a twin screw tug rated at 4,200 horsepower.