Built in 1942, by the Levingston Shipbuilding Company of Orange, Texas (hull #185) as the AT-77 (Tuscarora) for the United Stated Navy.
In 1941, the hull was acquired by the United States Navy. The tug was launched on July 17th, 1941. And, was commissioned as the AT-77 (USS Tuscarora) on December 13th, 1941. In 1942, she was reclassified as the YT-341 (USS Tuscarora). In 1944, the tug was redesignated as the YTB-341 (USS Tuscarora).
In 1953, she was decommissioned, and "laid up" in reserve. At the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, in Green Cove Springs, Florida.
In 1958, the tug was redesignated as the ATA-245 (USS Tuscarora). And, assigned to MARAD, 8 in March of 1961. For "lay up" in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, at the James River Group at Lee Hall, Virginia.
In 1961, she was struck from the Naval Register. In 1962, the tug was transferred to MARAD, 1 in September of 1962. In 1975, she was transferred to the United States Navy, for equipment removal and sale.
In 1976, she was sold for scrapping by Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service. And in 1979, the tug was sold. Where she was renamed as the Challenger.
In 1991, she was acquired by the Merce Transportation Company Sylvania, Ohio. Where the tug was renamed as the Triton.
In 2000, the tug was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2002, she was transferred to the Great Lakes Group subsidiary the Puerto Rico Tug and Barge Company of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2015, the Puerto Rico Tug and Barge Company was acquired by the Moran Towing Corporation of New Canaan, Connecticut. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2016, she was acquired by El Morro Inc, of Puerto Rico. Where she was renamed Providence. .
Powered by two, EMD 6-645E6 diesel engines. She is a twin screw tug, rated at 3,950 horsepower.
(NavSource Online, Lisa Kolibabek, Paul Strubeck)