Built in 1902, by the Neafie and Levy Engine Building Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as the Charles E. Matthews for the Dailey and Ivins Company.
In 1906, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Eugene F. Moran.
In 1916, she was acquired by the British Government. However, the tug was lost while in transit to her new owners. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,000 horsepower.