Built in 1937, by the Pusey and Jones Corporation of Wilmington, Delaware (hull #434/1066) as the H.C. Jefferson for the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
In 1958, the company became an affiliate of the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1988, the Curtis Bay Towing Company was absorbed into the Moran Towing Corporation of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1991, the tug was renamed as the J.R. Martin. Where she was sunk as an artificial reef off of the coast of Ocean City, Maryland. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,600 horsepower.