Built in 1943, by the Bethlehem Steel Company of Beaumont, Texas (hull #280) as the Hillsboro Inlet for the United States Navy.
She was a A V4-M-A1 class tug. A 186(ft) oceangoing tug, of which forty-nine were built for the United States Navy. By various shipyards throughout the United States for wartime service.
In 1943, the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York was contracted to man and operate the tug for the United States Navy.
In 1946, she was returned to the United States Navy.
In 1977, the tug was scrapped. She was single screw, rated at 2,250 horsepower.