Built in 1959, by P.K. Harris Limited of Appledore, England as the Stranton for an undisclosed customer.
In 1959, the tug was acquired by McAllister Towing of Montreal of Montreal, Quebec. A subsidiary of the Mcallister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as Helen M. McAllister.
However, the tug was not completed before it was acquired by McAllister Towing. The incomplete hull was towed to Canada. And, construction was completed at Sorel, Canada. Her hull was billed as the first "hydroconic" hull in the Western Hemisphere.
At the time, the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York had partnered with Sogemines of Belgium to assume towing operations in Montreal to coincide with the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The company was in need new tugs as soon as possible.
In 1997, McAllister Towing Limited of Montreal was acquired by the Ocean Groupe Incorporated of Quebec, Canada. Where the tug was renamed as the Ocean Golf.
The tug underwent an extensive rebuild. She was fitted with a new wheelhouse that allowed for full 360 degree visibilty. She was also repowered with rebuilt, GM diesel engines. Originally, the tug was twin screw rated at 1,200 horsepower. After the rebuild, and her repowering. The tug was rated at 2,200 horsepower.