Built in 1945, by Tampa Marine Incorporated of Tampa, Florida (hull #LT830) as the LT-830 for the United States Army.
In 1947, the tug was acquired by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company of Chicago, Illinois. Where she was renamed as the John R. Hayden.
In 1976, she was acquired by the Marine Leasing Corporation of Seattle, Washington, an affiliate of the Marine Power and Equipment Company of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1983, the Marine Leasing Corporation renamed the tug as the Marine Crusader.
In 1985, the tug was transferred to Alaska Marine Towing Incorporated of Anchorage, Alaska, as sister subsidiary. Where the tug was renamed as the Harris Bay.
In 1988, after a restructure following bankruptcy, the tug's ownership was transferred to the United Marine Tug and Barge Company of Portland, Oregon. Where the tug was renamed as the Marine Crusader.
In 1990, she was acquired by the Sause Brothers Ocean Towing Company of Portland, Oregon. Where the tug was renamed as the Titan.
In 2015, the Sause Brothers Ocean Towing Company phased the tug out of active service. And, laid her up in Coos Bay, Oregon.
Originally powered by a single, three-cylinder, Skinner, inflow, steam engine, 24.5(in) by 20(in) rated 1,200 horsepower. (890 kW). Supplied by two, Foster-Wheeler, water tube, boilers, 5,460(sq ft), (507 m2) heating surface, 225(psi) (1.55 MPa) working pressure.
In 1967 the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company dieselized the tug, at Todd Shipyard Incorporated of Alameda, California. She was repowered with a single, General Motors 567C EMD F-7 diesel engine. For a rated 1,600 horsepower.
In 1976, the Marine Leasing Corporation repowered the tug, which required rebuilding the superstructure. The work was performed by Propulsion Systems Incorporated of Kent, Washington. The modifications included the installation of two, sixteen cylinder, General Motors, Detroit Diesel 149T1 diesel engines. With a pair of twin-shaft, input/single-shaft, output Lufkin reduction gears. With controllable-pitch propellers, for a rated 3,200 horsepower.
In 1990, the Sause Brothers Ocean Towing Company repowered the tug with two, twelve cylinder, turbo EMD diesel engines. With Lufkin reduction gears, at a ratio of 3.5:1, for a rated 4,480 horsepower.
(Captain Dave Miner, Captain Rick Wilson, Captain Ric Shrewsbury, Captain Russell Shrewsbury, Jared Weaver, Mark Manes, Captain Ron Greger)