Built in 1920, by A.C. Brown and Sons of Tottenville, New York as the Persistence for the United States Shipping Board.
The tug was later sold. Where she was renamed as the Allentown.
She was then acquired by the Manhattan Oil Transit Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the A.E. Ackerman.
The tug was then acquired by the Socony Vacuum Oil Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Socony 27.
She was eventually acquired by the Amboy Towboat Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Where the tug was renamed as the St. Thomas.
In 1956, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1956, she was scrapped. The tug was single screw, rated at 300 horsepower.