Built in 1911, by M.M. Davis and Sons of Solomons, Maryland as the Advance for the A.J. Taylor and Brothers Company of Washington, D.C.
In 1918, the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. Where she was designated as the USS Advance. The tug was allocated as a patrol vessel, and was assigned to the 5th Naval District at Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1920, the United States Navy, redesignated the tug as the YT-28. When the United States Navy adopted the alphanumeric system of hull designations. The tug remained allocated to the 5th Naval District at Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1933, she was decommissioned, and "laid up" at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her name was struck from the Navy list that same year.
In 1934, the tug was acquired by Martin J. Carroll of Brooklyn, New York. Where she was renamed as the Advance.
She was eventually acquired by the Amboy Towboat Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Where the tug was renamed the St. Vincent.
In 1956, the tug was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.
In 1956, she was scrapped. The tug was single screw, rated at 700 horsepower.