Built in 1945 by the Marietta Manufacturing Company of Point Pleasant, West Virginia as the LT-820 (hull #536) for the United States Army.
In 1964, she was acquired by the Gartland Steamship Company of Chicago, Illinois, and brought to the Great Lakes under her original name.
In 1966, the tug was acquired by the Bultema Dock and Dredge Company of Muskegon, Michigan, where she was renamed as the Muskegon.
In 1976, she was acquired by the Hannah Marine Corporation of Lemont, Illinois, where she was renamed as the James A Hannah.
In 2008, the tug's bow was rebuilt with JAK coupler system for pushing articulated barges.
In 2009, Hannah Marine went out of business and she was put up for sale at US Marshall's auction. The tug failed to sell, and was subsequently laid-up in Hamilton, Ontario.
Eventually the tug was acquired by McKeil Marine of Hamilton, Ontario to be kept in lay-up and used for parts.