Built in 1947 by Tampa Marine Corporation of Tampa, Florida as the LT-836 (hull #43) for the United States Army.
Upon delivery, she was sold to the Roen Tranportation Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, where the tug was renamed as the John Roen IV.
In 1973, the tug was acquired by the Indian Towing Company of New Orleans, Louisiana, where she was renamed as the Shawnee and reflagged to the Cayman Islands.
On April 7, 1976, while attempting to assist the grounded tanker Polaris 1, had her propellor fouled and grounded on San Andres Island in the Caribbean. She was later declared to be a total constructive loss.