Built in 1881 by R.D. Hume at Ellensburg, Oregon Mary D. Hume as the coastal freighter, for R.D. Hume of Ellensburg, Oregon.
In 1889, the vessel was acquired by the Pacific Steam Whaling Company. Where she was rebuilt as a brigantine-rigged whaler. And, the vessel retained her name.
In 1900, she was acquired by the Northwest Fisheries Company. Where she was rebuilt as a cannery tender. And, the vessel retained her name.
In 1908, the vessel was acquired by the American Tugboat Company of Everett, Washington. Where she rebuilt as a tugboat. And, retained her name.
In 1954, her superstructure was rebuilt. And, the vessel was repowered with a single, 600 horsepower diesel engine.
In 1973, the American Tugboat Company was acquired by the Crowley Launch and Tug Company of San Francisco, California. Where the tug retained her name.
The company was integrated into the Crowley Launch and Tug subsidiary. The Puget Sound Tug and Barge Company of Seattle, Washington.
In 1975, the Puget Sound Tug and Barge Company was dismantled operations when the company was merged into the restructured Crowley Maritime Corporation of San Francisco, California.
In 1977, the tug was removed from service. At which time, it was claimed that she was the longest serving commercial vessel in the United States. The tug was then donated to a group in Gold Beach, Oregon who moored her on the Rogue River, in an effort to begin restorations on the tug.
However, an accident on board led to her sinking at her mooring. With no funds available for salvage, the tug was left to decay in the river. She was a single screw tug, rated at 600 horsepower.