Built in 1941 by Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works at Port Arthur, Texas as the YT-174 "Allaquippa" (hull #168) for the United States Navy. She was then assigned to the 3rd Naval District at New London, Connecticut.
In 1944, the tug was redesignated as YTB-174.
In 1955, she was transferred to the 1st Naval District, then redesignated as YTM-174 in 1962. Then, in 1969, the tug was transferred to the 5th Naval District, out of Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1973, the tug was retired from service and laid-up awaiting sale.
In 1976, she was acquired by the Marine Leasing Corporation of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug was renamed as the Herman W.
In 1990, the tug was acquired by Martech Marine Incorporated of Anchorage, Alaska. Where she was renamed as the Arctic Ann.
Eventually she was acquired by Miles W. Keso of Juneau, Alaska. Where the tug was renamed as the Tongass.
On December 1, 1995, the tug capsized and sank near Point Retreat, Alaska while disembarking pilots from the bulk freighter Ken Ei, with the loss of her captain and owner. She was not salvaged.