Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ST - 860

Built in 1945, by the Wheeler Shipbuilding Company at Whitestone, New York (hulll #108) as the ST-860 for the United States Army.

In 1960, the tug was acquired by the American Tugboat Company of Everett, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Judy S.

She was later acquired by the Campbell Towing Company Incorporated of Wrangell, Alaska. Where the tug was renamed as the May.

On November 21st, 1992, while towing a log raft. The tug capsized and sank in Farragut Bay, Alaska. Originally powered by a single, 700 horsepower diesel engine. The tug was later repowered with a single Caterpillar 91B831 diesel engine. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,100 horsepower.
(Kyle Stubbs)


  • Vessel Name: ST - 860
  • USCG Doc. No.: 284634
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WS3389
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 108
  • Ship Builder: WHEELER SHIPBUILDING
  • Year Built: 1945
  • Length: 80.6
  • Hull Depth: 9.6
  • Hull Breadth: 23
  • Gross Tonnage: 145
  • Net Tonnage: 99
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    ST-860, Judy S
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Army, American Tugboat Co., CAMPBELL TOWING COMPANY