Built in 1943, by the Decatur Iron and Steel Company at Decatur, Alabama (hull #DPC-48) as the DPC-48 for the United States Defense Plant Corporation.
In 1946, the tug was acquired by the Suderman and Young Towing Company of Galveston, Texas. Where she was renamed as the Albatross.
Along with the Bay Houston Towing Company of Houston, Texas. The Suderman and Young Towing Company was part of a combined operating company, the G and H Towing Company of Houston, Texas.
In 1961, she was acquired by the Berwick Bay Towing Company of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the Baton Rouge.
In 1964, the tug was acquired by the Otto Candies Company of Des Allemands, Louisiana. Where she was renamed as the Kevin S. Candies.
She was later acquired by the Sause Brothers Ocean Towing Company of Coos Bay, Oregon. Where the tug was renamed as the Powhatan.
The tug was later acquired by the Samson Tug and Barge Company Incorporated of Sitka, Alaska. Where she retained her name.
In 2005, the she was "laid-up" at a company pier, near Sitka, Alaska.
On April 19th, 2017 the tug sank while moored in Starrigavan Bay near Sitka, Alaska. Salvage of the tug was completed on June 12th, 2017. She was scrapped at Seattle, Washington later that year.
She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.