Home Search Links About Us Updates Login

Built in 1952, by Avondale Shipyard Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana (hull #403) as the LT-1944 for the United States Army.

Her keel was laid down in 1952, and she was launched in 1952. In December of that year and allocated to the United States Army.

In 1962, the tug was transferred to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Where she was renamed as the Washington.

In 2000, she was acquired by Dawes Marine Tug and Barge Incorporated of North Tonawanda, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Sea Chief.

In 2001, the tug was acquired by Basic Marine Incorporated of Escanaba, Michigan. Where she retained her name.

In 2010, she was scrapped at Escanaba, Michigan. Powered by a single, Fairbanks Morse 37F-16 diesel engine. She was a single screw tug, rated at 2,000 horsepower.

  • Vessel Name: SEA CHIEF
  • USCG Doc. No.: 11056130
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 89916330
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 403
  • Ship Builder: Avondale Shipyard Inc.
  • Year Built: 1952
  • Length: 100.4
  • Hailing Port: ESCANABA, MI.
  • Hull Depth: 15
  • Hull Breadth: 26.5
  • Gross Tonnage: 196
  • Net Tonnage: 133
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    LT-1944, Washington, Sea Chief
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    US Army Quartermaster Corps., United States Army, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Dawes Marine Inc., Basic Marine Inc.