Built in 1929, by John H. Mathis of Camden New Jersey as the Reliance for the Providence Steamboat Company of Providence, Rhode Island.
She was the first tug to bare the name for the Providence Steamboat Company.
In 1962, she was acquired by the Norfolk Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Norfolk Virginia where she was renamed as the Norshipco Three .
The tug was later acquired by Ireland Marine where she was renamed as the Chelsea .
She was single screw / shaft turned by a single Fairbanks Morse 6 cylinder diesel engine. At a point she was repowered with a GM 12 cylinder diesel engine rated at 900 horsepower.
In 2007, she was out of documentation.